2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Response to Sara and Lance

I started posting a response to Sara and Lance's comments on the previous entry, but it got a bit long, so I thought I would make a separate entry.

Warm thanks to Sara and Lance for generously sharing their stories, and for posting their responses. Both comments raise really important issues.

Sara raises the question of other diseases that don't attract a fraction of the funding that breast cancer organisations have been able to mobilise. I'm very sympathetic to this point, and can see that from the point of view of many other cancers and other diseases, it might seem ungracious to criticise some aspects of breast cancer publicity.

Lance's comment is very heartfelt; and I honour his tribute to the women in his family who have died, or struggled with, or who live in the shadow of breast cancer.

I would comment that lots of these commercial promotions add only a tiny proportion of their sales to breast cancer research. Those interested to know more might want to check out the link to Breast Cancer Action on the side-bar.

But of course, when someone is wholeheartedly involved in fund-raising, I can see how my response might seem to undermine that cause. I didn't intend my remarks to "white-ant" those efforts (and tried to say in my essay that there were many wonderful aspects to pink October); but I am concerned about the way many of these promotions are capitalising on a very narrow understanding of women's concerns.

Of course, the ideal solution would be adequate government funding for research, care and awareness of many more diseases, supported by an equitable tax system. I think a lot of people find it disturbing to think of diseases competing with each other for a limited market share of public support.

I should say that most of the responses I've had to my essay, both on the blog, and in emails, have shared my concerns. Many people comment that they prefer to make donations, and don't expect to be "buying" products in return. And that was the way I was brought up, too.

Lance suggests I get involved in the Cancer Council Arts Awards. I must admit, I didn't know about them: I will try and find out more about this. When I was first diagnosed, one of my first impulses was to get involved in some kind of support group, to help other women with fewer social and economic resources than I enjoy. But the advice I read said, "you need to go through your own treatment and journey before you can help others". I've hoped my blog might be some kind of help.

Thanks again to all who've responded, by blog, by email, and by phone. These are difficult issues indeed.

2 comments:

Lance said...

Hi Stephanie,

If you wish to become involved with The Cancer Council Victoria Arts Awards you can telephone their Arts Award Officer, Angela Nagel on 9635 5000 or, Angela.Nagel@cancervic.org.au or,
www.cancervic.org.au.

The thing that I was involved with was called FlipAlbums, which are self-playing CD ROMs with text, images and a rather pretty Celtic harp music background provided by a local Dandenongs Ranges musician.

They retail for $5.00 and after covering materials costs, the Cancer Council gets over $4.50 profit per sale.

They contain entries showing the winners of this years awards and a retrospective for the last ten years also.

If you would like a copy, either ask Angela or give me some contact details on fishman@melbpc.org.au and I will forward one to you gratis.

Cheers

Lance

This old world is a new world said...

Thanks, Lance.

I do have to be a bit careful about not taking on too many things, but I will keep an eye out for these awards.