2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The boy is back in town

Yay for Geoffrey Chaucer! After a period of exile when his blog was taken over by the Lords Appellant, he has reclaimed his blog spot and tells us he was at Kalamazoo, dancing and all, in most jocound fashion.

Jeffrey is blogging about serious issues of anonymity and professionalism, and the future of the discipline. It's an interesting question on which he and I clearly have a mild disagreement: I think anonymity can sometimes be a good thing. Yes, it can be used improperly; but it can also be used provisionally, experimentally and playfully. The world of medievalist bloggers — sometimes anonymous, sometimes pseudonymous, sometimes named — shows us how hard it would be to be absolute about this question, since one of the points of blogging, for me, at least, is to blur the distinction between the formal/professional and the more informal and personal.

But I feel I'm rambling: time to try and harness the energies unleashed at Kalamazoo and get to work on my book.

5 comments:

Dr. Virago said...

the points of blogging, for me, at least, is to blur the distinction between the formal/professional and the more informal and personalThen why weren't you at my paper on blogging, since this is what I was arguing? :)

Dr. Virago said...

Er, what happened to the hard return between my quoting you and my own comment? Oh well, at least the italics worked.

This old world is a new world said...

Hey, Dr V, I'm sorry I missed that session. I heard great reports of it, and hope to hear more about it so my panel at NCS can continue the conversation started there. Nice to see you looking so well; and sorry we didn't get longer. It's a madhouse, that conference!

Dr. Virago said...

Yes, it's definitely a madhouse! We'll have to make a point of talking more at NCS.

Karl Steel said...

Yes, and DV, let me apologize for missing that session too! I had to support a friend in a tough session, and, being unable to bilocate, I had to make decision. I hope you post your talk somewhere??

(and Stephanie, great to finally meet you)