2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Rehearsal

So the Blue Manoeuvres are rehearsing at our place today. Everyone sets to with a will to bring in the drum kit (kudos to the drummer's mother: roadie par excellence). They are on their third run-through their first number, taking turns to improvise and 'comp' when it's someone else's turn to solo. I can't help but admire their work-ethic (they have set aside three hours for rehearsal) and their co-operative spirit. I'll send them out for hamburgers for lunch later.

Best of all, for me, is to hear J playing (even if one-handed), and to hear the happiness in his voice. Right now he and the bass guitarist are making a little duet (R. plays double bass when he can but the guitar is easier to transport); and now it's piano and drums. The sax will kick in the melody soon - ah yes, there he goes!

They are working towards making a recording for an audition in the next few weeks; and may also be applying for a busking licence. Watch this space for their next appearance (and for the corrected spelling of contemporary. Any day now).

No comments: