2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Friday, January 14, 2011

when the rains came

You know the rains have hit Melbourne when you have to disconnect the agricultural pipe that fills the fish-pond from the run-off from the shed, so the pond won't overflow. That is all. Back to the footnotes to chapter four, and changing "honour" to "honor" throughout. Sigh.

6 comments:

elsewhere said...

All sounds very honorable...that looks ugly! Hope the fish are ok. The cats and I are watching the increasing downpour with interest. It's a good time to be writing.

This old world is a new world said...

Fish should be fine. If they're smart, they can just go to the bottom. Though that reminds me to take out an umbrella and check on the little mosquito-eating ones in the trough. Can you imagine the scale of million-times-worse-than-this that people in Queensland must be going through?

Mindy said...

American publisher or is it standard for American spelling to be used these days? Thank goodness for edit/replace.

This old world is a new world said...

American publisher. University of Pennsylvania Press. Wonderful editor; great distribution; series du jour for contemporary medieval and renaissance studies. But American spelling. And also, the readers weren't sure everyone would recognize (another global change) 1066 and All That .

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Oh God, sigh is right. I'm having terrible trouble making Word understand what UK English is, and sticking to it once I've set it. Honor schmonor. Also labor, color, accessorize and bloody kilometer.

*grizzle*

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

I managed to make my Word use a plugin dictionary based on the OED - but of course, now it doesn't recognise -ise endings, because the OED uses z.

And... I may perhaps have consciously used UK spelling firmly throughout the article I just submitted to the CUNY grad journal. I'll fix it if they ask me to, of course, but.