2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: Awesome Colleagues

One of the things I love about our research centre is/are my fabulous colleagues. Grace has an office next to mine and is excellent at sending along just the right reference or picture or voicing an idea, just at the right time.

As I hoped, too, this blog is starting to generate ideas and images from other people. Anne mentioned the project to her bookclub and there was general interest and agreement about the attachment Melbourne folk have to their bluestone. This is very inspiring: the thought that one's theory might actually touch the nerve it is attempt to describe and to which it is appealing.

(Actually, Catherine has just sent me a lovely picture of Queen Victoria's Garter necklace from an exhibition she saw at Kensington Palace: even though that project's well and truly over for me, it was still so lovely to see how one's research projects act like idea ear-worms into friends' lives...)

Anyhow, Grace sent me this photo of her neighbour taking delivery of a large chunk of bluestone. 

It comes from Port Fairy down in the south west of the state, where there was a lot of volcanic activity.



Apparently the man is going to cut it up to make pavers in his back garden. The irony is that if he dug down deep enough in his garden, he could probably dig up his own bluestone, though it wouldn't be all smooth and even like this (and ok, let's revisit this question this Friday when I talk about my own garden). It makes me wonder how it is cut: looks as if it sliced like butter or pastry from a big lump of very solid, and not very porous stone, because despite quick appearances sometimes, bluestone is not at all like slate. 

I wish him joy of his big stone!







No comments: