2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Monday, March 09, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: Little House for a Big Day

It's been a huge day today: scrambling to rewrite a perfectly good lecture from last year on the Nun's Priest's Tale to discuss the Wife of Bath, instead, for a colleague's subject on Adaptation. Great fun, but took ages messing about with video clips and pictures. Stayed up too late last night to finish it; got home at seven to eat (luckily Joel had made a vegetable curry over the weekend) and then fall asleep, waking up to watch the all-female panel on QandA. Really not too bad at all.  And now, at 11, two reasonably urgent issues that must be attended to on email.

So here's just a dear little bluestone house I pass on my way to work, up in Drummond St. Note the neatness of its bluestone patterns, its lichen-encrusted slate roof, and the stained glass in its window. I'm not sure, but it looks from the room above at the back, and the way it matches the house on the left, as if the cottage is now part of a much larger street frontage.

Something charming about the size of this cottage, right up on the pavement: but no garden, no verandah, and facing the afternoon sun? Not designed for Australia!!

No comments: