2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Wednesday, April 08, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: A Little Accommodation

Again, a little post, as it's the week before travelling, and it's always hectic.  On my way to work, I sometimes ride on little informal mounds like these, put down by local residents or commuters to ease the way for a bike from pathway to street. Here are two of the humblest little piles of concrete slurry you could hope to see, easing the way for a car to traverse the bluestone kerb, which has itself been paved over right to the edge, as if someone were icing a cake, rather than allowing the bluestone to be seen as you walk along. But no one was going to disrupt this bluestone kerbing by making a proper driveway. Gorgeous!


No comments: