2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Monday, February 09, 2009

Help

Best thing to do for fire victims is to donate money. The Red Cross site says be patient, but I got through first time.

You can also donate blood. Burns victims need lots of transfusions. But there is a series of exclusion rules for cancer patients. They're going to get back to me.

2 comments:

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

Yes, they said they'd get back to me too, but their lines were so busy I suspect it'll take some time. But that's good, surely! It means they're inundated with offers.

I donated to the Salvation Army via Myers, because Myers is matching donations dollar for dollar until they reach a million. It's so good that some big companies are making large gestures like that to help - it must surely encourage other people to do the same on their own smaller scale. But everyone seems to be going out of their way to do everything they can already anyway.

I wonder if I can volunteer to help at all. Probably not until the fires are out, but surely there must be some places that could use an extra pair of hands or set of wheels?

This old world is a new world said...

ABC radio says not now, but later, you know? They're inundated with piles of donations they don't know what to with in various centres.

Contact Red Cross, I'd say.