2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Girly pleasures: or why I love my moisturiser

I'm into the second week of this headcold now (apparently it lasts a good two or three weeks, with the possibility of a re-run later). I'm back cycling and playing tennis, though the combination of an hour's tennis and twenty minutes cycling home in a cold wind tonight nearly did for me. A little work tonight, then an early night for me.

Since I've been sick, I've felt constantly on the verge of dehydration, and had run out of my moisturiser, but have since been down to Klein's, and stocked up on my magic jar.

I open the black screw top lid on the little dark brown glass jar, and breathe in the aromatic scents of rosemary, sage and lavender. A fingertip full of soft white cream, and my skin suddenly feels normal again. I'm on the road to recovery.

6 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Gotta go there next time I'm in Melb, and to that beautiful paper shop you linked to a few months back. I take it they make the moisturiser themselves?

And shouldn't you have stayed in bed a bit longer?

This old world is a new world said...

Actually, no, it is a proprietary brand, but made in Australia. Do you know the Aesop range?

But yes, if there is a non-department store unguent that Klein's doesn't have, you don't want it either. It's a date, next time you're over.

Hmm. bed would be nice, actually. This is my third day in at work in a row and I'm having trouble keeping up my supply of ironed handkerchiefs...

nadine fisher said...

may I suggest also "creme of Roses" made by the Carmelites in Kew---$5.95 for 50,ml, in all good Catholic bookshops. Very reminiscent of the Cyclax "milk of Roses" of my youth

Zoe said...

Aesops are the nicest in the whole world.

'signorina' said...

I've just realised why I bought a lovely lavender-scented moisturiser yesterday...I'd read this post. Talk about the power of suggestion.

This old world is a new world said...

Excellent! My secret plan to re-hydrate the world is taking shape...