2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Monday, December 08, 2008

Conference blogging/Hobart/Two

Conference blogging. Meant to do this over the last week, but am now going to do it in several posts. This is the second. Scroll up and down for more.

One of the conference receptions was held at Government House, a beautiful example of colonial gothic in golden sandstone, high up in the Domain, overlooking the city. We had to pre-register for this in order to receive our gold-embossed invitations; and had to dress up a little; and practice saying "Your Excellency" in case we got introduced.

It was a beautiful afternoon.

We all lined up to be introduced:
And did a little Garter research as we waited:
We were then shown into this rather odd hall:


The decorations were suitably vice-regal:















And the guests suitably elegant:




This is my favourite photo:

And here is The Dress:


But after all this finery, here is one of the prettiest images: a little cottage in the grounds, which I have made my computer's desktop for a while....

3 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

The Dress is excellent. I particularly like the way they've used the black trim, especially at the bottom. Top lippy match, too!

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Also, would you believe I didn't recognise PS till I clicked on the photo to enlarge it? I don't think I've ever seen him in a tie in his life!

This old world is a new world said...

No, it doesn't really look like him. I think I must have been holding the camera at a very odd angle!