2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

Pavlov's Cat has a To Do list for this very hot New Year's Eve in south-eastern Australia. Top of her list is "Pull oneself together," which made me laugh.

Things aren't quite that bad over this-a-way, but my list is not dissimilar.

I've made one batch of oyster pies; one more to go. Last night I made a crab mousse, a summer pudding and an enormous dish of tira-mi-su. Paul is cooking up an absolute storm: just keeps coming up with one amazing-sounding dish after another. This afternoon I'll be rolling bits of bacon around prunes for devils on horseback, and providing cold drinks to the "band" practice: bass, lead guitar, drums and J on keyboards. They know each other pretty well, and some of them have played and jammed with some of the others before in school and other groups; and the drummer has already cut his first CD with another band. Even if it's a little rough around ththe edges, it'll be so nice to have live music.

We've been doing a new year's eve party for ten years now (though we skipped during the summer of radiotherapy in 2006). We have it pretty much down to a fine art. The tables and plates and glasses are all out; lights are being hung around the garden, and I'll float little candles in the fishpond so long as the howling winds don't make it impossible. It's 34 already, and they are predicting 38 in Melbourne before a change comes through with thunderstorms. So we might end up inside.

OK, back to the kitchen; and cleaning up the laundry: somehow I don't think I'm going to get to the ironing today.

And... a Happy New Year to all.

4 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

I would so love to be there, if I were, erm, there. Thanks for very funny invitation, and one of these years I will be at one of your legendary New Yearses.

I've got one lovely batch of meringues and another to go, some half-done strawbs, reviews column finished and filed, father chatted with, outfit finalised, and a load of washing on. Have a fabulous time tonight and a wonderful New Year.

WV is 'slymy', which I trust does not refer to the strawberries, nor to the washing, nor yet to oneself. Especially not to oneself.

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

The change has reached us - down from 42 to 30 in three hours!

Still not going outside yet awhile, though. I think my NY will involve a quiet glass of white and maybe a beach walk with beagles. Nice and Australian, while I'm still here.

Meredith said...

Hope it was a wonderful party Stephanie. And oyster pies? Recipe please!

This old world is a new world said...

Recipe coming up here. Cheers!