2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Such a Fortunate Life Have I Led

... that I have never received a bereavement card until the vet clinic that looked after Mima so well sent me a lovely card. Three pictures of serene cats, and a lovely message inside, along with a packet of seeds to scatter in the garden, and the wish, "May each flower bring a happy memory of Mima."

Of course I understand this is not a bereavement on the human scale. But it does, all the same, feel like a lesson in mortality. This is, after all, one of the reasons why we think it's good for children to have pets, to accustom them to the cycle of birth and death. Mima's life was a very good one; and she died in a most natural cat-like way: discreetly and privately. It's still sad, though.

4 comments:

Elsewhere007 said...

Indeed. What a nice gesture with the seeds.

Caite said...

Isn't it amazing how a little creature like a cat can do so much? They certainly do teach us many valuable things. Thank-you for the wonderful posts, Stephanie, thinking of you.

meli said...

i'm thinking of you too. she sounds like such a gorgeous cat. everytime i see your profile pic on facebook i want to cry.

Melinda Freyer said...

Dear Stephanie
I am a former student and have been following your blog for a number of years. The bereavement card resonates with me. I lost my mother last year after a very long illness and the comfort that comes from those that actively take time to put a card in the mail is immeasurable. Subsequent to her death I decided to get a dog. It's been many years since I've had an animal. - having lost so many in my growing years and having to make some very hard decisions on several occasions I just couldn't reinvest. But your recent experience with Mimi makes absolute sense to me. We spend our life with all manner of beings and I can't agree with you. These domestic animals are as big a part of our lives as our two legged ones ... take care.

Melinda Freyer