2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Thursday, February 26, 2015

My Year with Bluestone: The Rookies

I am no great photographer, and bluestone is a bit of a challenge sometimes, because it is so dark, and often because its buildings are so big. So today I'm borrowing a photo from Facebook to juxtapose with one of my own.

This is from a bar in Brunswick St, which is getting all kinds of lovely reviews. I have not been much of a bar-goer, but over the last year or so, since Joel has been playing various gigs around town, we have started going out a bit more often, to bars in Northcote, or Collingwood or Fitzroy. I have only even been into the front bar of the Rooks Return, because that is where the piano is, for a start, but there is a courtyard; you can play chess and other games; and it certainly has the feel of a friendly local place. Bar staff extremely nice. And on Wednesday nights, the bar is graced by The Rookies....


I love this black and white pic I pinched from Facebook; partly because it shows the interior bluestone wall off to such advantage, and partly because it shows my boy having such a good time. Sometimes he has even been known to sing a tune though I haven't witnessed that here. But what is not to love about these gorgeous young men and their music??

My own photo, much less successful, shows the way bluestone chips have been used in a very irregular way here, just to build the internal wall, presumably to be painted over.
 
Do these posts need a moral? they're not fables... But still, the moral is you can live in a town your whole life and then with an odd research project and a new phase in parenting, your life can change. 

No comments: