2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Sunday, June 27, 2010

I told you I was sick

... and have now had confirmation.  (And how lucky I am to be registered with a medical practice that holds a no-appointment clinic on Sunday morning for regulars who haven't been able to get in during the week.) I came home with
  • a referral for a chest x-ray, as it seems as if my rib is cracked, not just bruised; 
  • a prescription, plus repeat, for top-strength anti-biotics since the lingering cough turns out to be bronchitis;
  • instructions for lung-clearing exercises that promise to be so painful (see cracked rib, above) I have to take paracetamol before I start them; 
  • disprin to start thinning my blood before the flight to Italy, to counter the greater risk of DVT with a lung infection; and 
  • a warning that if I don't get better soon I should think about cancelling my trip. 
Sigh. Still, I realise I have been fighting this cold since the day I got home from Berlin last month. No wonder I'm feeling a bit flat and run-down.

But also feeling strangely out-of-body, unexpectedly thrown back to 1971. I'm listening to Joel's new CD of Tea for the Tillerman, which was the very first record I ever bought. It cost $5 and I played it and played it over and over, and pored over the lyrics. And now "Longer Boats" is playing; and I realise how much I love this music still, its lyricism and its passion. Pity I have no breath to sing along with.

I've just dropped Joel at Trinity College for a week-long residential jazz intensive, being run by five members of the Juilliard Jazz programme. Yes. That Juilliard. So many excited teenagers running around looking for practice spaces to start jamming, before sessions start tomorrow. Can't wait for the Friday night end-of-course concert.

5 comments:

Lawrence Warner said...

Oh get better Stephanie! Melbourne is just too far awa so I've been counting on a Siena rendez-vous. My first album was Sgt Pepper's. The soundtrack, that is, not the Beatles. Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Alice Cooper. I have the feelings you describe when I hear it.

Jeffrey Cohen said...

Get better soon!!!! Italy won't be the same without you.

Tom Prendergast said...

Oh no! If you're not going, I'm not going.
I can't remember my first album, but my first 45 was Born to Be Wild on the A and Everybody's Next One on the B (thank the heavens for A).

This old world is a new world said...

Luckily, the rib isn't cracked; just bruised (which increases my respect for those with real breaks: 18 days after the fall it still hurts to turn over, and to cough).

Still waiting for the anti-biotics to kick in; but optimistic...

My first 45? Probably something by the Monkees; but Love Child by the Supremes was an early revelation...

Anonymous said...

Get better soon! Congratulations on the Juilliard Jazz show too.