2016

I've kept this blog, on and off, since 2006. In 2015 I used it to chart daily encounters, images, thoughts and feelings about volcanic basalt/bluestone in Melbourne and Victoria, especially in the first part of the year. I plan to write a book provisionally titled Bluestone: An Emotional History, about human uses of and feelings for bluestone. But I am also working on quite a few other projects and a big grant application, especially now I am on research leave. I'm working mostly from home, then, for six months, and will need online sociability for company!


Sunday, November 14, 2010

That's how the light gets in.

'There's a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.' As Leonard Cohen sang these words, from "Anthem" (Ring the Bells) at Rod Laver Arena tonight, I was struck for the hundredth time this evening by his beautiful, flawed, romantic masculinity. Beautiful singing, extraordinary musicianship and grace all round, from detailed introductions, and slow bows to each band member and singer, returned slowly, before each turned to the audience and bowed. Singers and musicians all clothed in various suits and clothes of greys, purples and whites. So dignified and passionate.

But at the same time with the words to this song I was thinking about Aung San Suu Kyi, and wondering if she had indeed been released this evening. It's wonderful to come home and see on the newsites the smiling face of this dignified and gracious woman, finally freed (and hopefully permanently).
 
These are the people I want to emulate as I grow older. Dignity, grace and passion.

Ring the bells.

A day later: I found a link:






No comments: